Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Impractical Parent's Guide to Snow days

In Maryland, where I live, we often have what is typically referred to as a "Snow day". In reality it is far more likely that these days will be wet, rainy days that is a disappointment to adults and children alike. The moment one of these potential weather disasters is announced Marylanders lose their minds. The ritual of hoarding as much milk, bread and toilet paper as one can find is the first priority of the weather crazed residents. Other items which immediately sell out include sholves, sleds, snowblowers and gasoline as no one has planned ahead for what is a known seasonal event. We have a very similar ritual which takes place during hurricane season.

 The second phase of panic includes obsessively checking the weather and discussing our impending doom at great length. Children wear their pajamas inside out and backwards and the elderly complain about the damp and the dangers of slipping on the ice.

The third phase is what I like to refer to as the "preemptive strike". The hours or even the day before the storm is supposed to hit schools are closed. The plows are stationed along the roads like hungry beasts ready to gobble up the first snowflake before it can even touch the ground. The most notable characteristic of this phase is loss of driving skills. Was that a rain drop?! **BRAKE!** Was that a snowflake?! Better drive 30 miles under the speed limit (In the fast lane, of course.) At this point true panic has set in. Our impending doom is looming. We will be cold, bored and miserable soon and we have accepted it.

The snow has not arrived yet so my son and I are currently enjoying Phase 3, a day spent trapped in the house together with nothing to do. Now, the Professor is not a typical kid. He doesn't enjoy coloring or silly craft projects. Pinterest has tons of great ideas for the Suzie Homemakers of the world but I am not one of them. (Although, admittedly that hasn't stopped me from pinning the hell out of stuff.) So here is my list of activities we will be enjoying today:

Video Games - He's quiet, ok only sort of. He really enjoys cheering himself on but for the most part he is entertained and out of my hair for a few minutes. As a gamer myself, snow days exist for beating high scores and finally killing that boss. I plan on spending some time playing video games myself today since I was recently gifted a copy of "Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning".

Board Games - My kid is a skilled strategist so we will indulge in some Catan Jr. and possibly a game of checkers. It is a bit of a brain exercise and only requires up to 45 minutes of my time to have a solid bonding experience.

Junk Food - While I encourage a healthy diet as any responsible parent would, there is nothing like bonding over a bowl of popcorn and peanut M&M's while cuddled up on the couch together on a cold day.

Dance Party - So I've allowed him to stuff himself full of candy like any good mother and he is bouncing off the walls (more than usual). Fortunately, the Professor has some killer dance moves. I can pop on some techno and he will dance himself tired in 10 minutes flat.

Play Outside - Once phase 4 truly starts you can bet I will have him bundled up and out the door before he even realizes it is snowing. He won't stay out there long before he is cold, wet and bored but when he comes in he will be a subdued, happy child.

Science Documentary - For my tired science geek. I refer to my son as Professor for a reason. He loves science. He recently won the "Superb Scientist" Award in school. The Science Channel has a series of documentaries called "How the Universe Works". Professor loves these shows and learns quite a bit from them so they will round out snow day.

The Snow hasn't started yet and probably won't for a few more hours but the Professor and I will enjoy our snow day all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment