Saturday, March 9, 2013

5 Steps to Curing Brain Fog

I promised myself when I decide to start blogging that I would do at least one entry a day. The problem is I've been suffering from terrible brain fog for the past few weeks. In my last post I mentioned what a struggle it has been to write but some days are worse than others. The stress of figuring out my financial and college situation has exacerbated the issue today. I'm fairly sure that my very poor diet hasn't helped either.

I'm hoping a few changes will improve my concentration.

1) Diet - I have a tendency to skip meals, especially when stressed. Eating high calorie, healthy meals is the easiest change I can make.

2) Sleep - I've slept better this past week than in previous weeks although it was only a week ago that I went with only an hour of sleep one night. I've minimized my time watching TV in bed. The biggest change was not getting on my phone when I did happen to wake up. While checking Reddit and email certainly distracts me from the anxiety that woke me up the light and stimuli kept me up for hours at a time. My mind is actually starting to get some proper rest and my anxiety isn't creeping in as much as it usually does.

3) B-12 - Taking a B-12 supplement in addition to my usual multi-vitamin has helped in the past with alertness and concentration.

4) Sunshine - In college, I did a research paper on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and one of the things I learned was how important sunlight is to our bodies. Early morning sunlight can help with depression and regulates body cycles. I'm certainly not going for a walk at 6AM but I will be stepping out onto the front step every morning and basking in a bit of spring.

5) Routine - By forcing myself to write at this moment I'm reinforcing the idea that I can and will continue to write. I'm exercising my brain and stretching my creativity. I'm sure quite a few of my entries will be sub-par and far from useful or interesting. However, as the adages goes, practice makes perfect.

I'm off to ensure #2 on the list is taken care of and maybe tomorrow I will have something far more interesting to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment