Thursday, October 17, 2013

Murphy and I travel to Montreal

Apparently international travel is much simpler than domestic flights. I had absolutely no line at security. The TSA employee seemed to have forgotten why he was standing there before he remembered his responsibility to systematically violate my rights. Not only was security incredibly simple but it took me longer to put my shoes back on than it did to walk to my gate. Airports truly are the worst case of “hurry up and wait” that one can experience, except for maybe the ER. Nothing like feeling like you’re dying and being told someone else is dying just a bit more quickly than you so you’ll have to wait your turn – but I digress. All in all, the beginnings of my first foray into international travel have been stress free.  I did manage to embarrass myself by noticeably eaves dropping on a cute little old couple quietly speaking French to each other. The older man noticed and came over and talked to me since I was so obviously curious. He was kind and well-meaning but I kept my eyes firmly on my laptop screen throughout the rest of my wait. Nothing like a bit of embarrassment to round out your day.
I’m probably more excited than I should be about this but MY PLANE HAS PROPELLERS! I know, I’m a child but come on. It is cool. Of course there is a part of me, the part that is scared of things like death and that monster that lives in the basement that finds a propeller plane frightening. No one wants to fall out of the sky. Okay, maybe some people do but those people are crazy and usually have parachutes. I am not crazy nor do I have a parachute so I will stay firmly in the not-falling-out of-the-sky camp.
I don’t have a single plan for when I get there. I’m not even 100% sure how I’m getting from the airport to Nikki’s and frankly, I’m terrible excited about that. I’ve craved adventure and there is nothing like navigating public transit in a city where they don’t speak your native language. I rather look forward to putting my French skills to the test. I’ve never used it in a practical situation so we’ll see how that goes. I’ll either make a complete fool of myself or just embarrass myself a bit. It’s a toss-up.
It feels strange to travel without Professor. I love our adventures. He is surprisingly easy to travel with and has a fearless nature. I feel a bit guilty leaving him for the weekend but he will have a ton of fun with my parents. Besides, I consider this my test run. Learning to manage this on my own is the beginning of vacations and adventures with him down the road.
Of course, I forgot to run to the bathroom before I got on my flight. Murphy’s law  - When you have a window seat, you will have to pee. I didn’t eat lunch so of course I accepted the pretzels I was offered which then required I also have water but it is impossible to eat pretzels without something to drink. I sipped the water so as not to explode my bladder until turbulence hit. If you know anything about me, and you must since you’ve read this far, you’ll know that I am a walking accident waiting to happen. I watched as the water sloshed in my cup with each pocket of air we hit. My choices were immediately apparent. I could either watch my water inevitably spill on me and to the full effect of embarrassment, likely the person sitting next to me OR I could punish my bladder further and hope to God that I can hold it to Toronto. I’ve now made a bad situation even worse and my bladder will seek revenge (hopefully when I’m old and don’t give a damn that I’ve pissed myself).
On a giggle-worthy note I only just now realized that my calendar reminder that pops up on my phone at 5pm every day reminding me to not be a lazy student is abbreviated. So instead of “Read Assignments” my phone kindly reminds me, every day at 5pm to “READ ASS”. Thanks, phone.

I’d like to add that I consider it barbaric that there is no Wifi on my flight. Get with it, Air Canada. Mama needs to get her fix. I mean I’ve resorted to offline blogging to get by. There are better methods to put off the reading on Islamic history I’m supposed to be doing and I’m absolutely disappointed at Air Canada but not better supporting my internet addiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment